Saturday, May 4, 2013

Surprise!...or something like that.

This is Aaron this time. I'm sure that Katie will be adding her own blog here soon, but for all the fans, friends and family I thought I would write a little update as to the goings on in the Lassig Household.

As many of you know, and referenced in earlier blogs, we are pregnant with Twins! Max and Grey are on their way. The two little bundles of joy have been growing towards a due date of August 1st. (40 Weeks). Typically twins have come median at 36 weeks (July 4th! my favorite holiday). They've been doing good over the past few ultrasounds (as there are so many when you have twins).

Well this past week I (Aaron) went out of town with Addie to do some camping with my friend Matt, and his two kids in Goblin Valley area. We were scheduled to come home on Saturday, but after realizing what it takes to get 3 kids of the ages of 5, 4, and 3 taken care of every morning and evening (you women are amazing by the way!) we decided to go to our last attraction, get the kids fed some dinner and then bed them down and trek on home on Friday night. I contacted Katie Friday morning to let her know what had been decided, and that we would be seeing her that evening. My phone did shortly after 7pm, and as we rounded the corner of freeway that lies about 30 min from home I turned the phone back on. I recall it was about 10:56 pm, and I got a text, sent from Katie at 10:26 asking where we were. I responded with a text of our location and ETA and got a phone call back. It was Katie, she was nervous and I could tell a little scared as she told me she thought that her water had broke. I told her I was on my way and asked whether she could wait or if she needed to go to the hospital and I would meet her there. She said she would call the nurse and find out.

Matt  hit the gas.

We arrived and I abandoned the car to go to Katie, She didn't seem in a huge rush as she walked out the door. I had called on the thrilling ride home (I was surprised to see us barreling down the road at about 85 in a fully loaded 20 year old extended cab Chevy pickup, it's a good truck Matt should be proud of). Making sure she was ok, I went and grabbed Addie out of the car, she woke up and was crying for her mom, whom she hadn't seen for a week. We ran to mom, gave a quick hug and left her with Matt and Carrie, who had agreed to take care of her. And went safely and speedily to the Intermountain Medical center on 50th south.

When we arrived we apparently got to the correct place as we were soon talking with a doctor, and shortly situated in a room. A few tests later, 3 to be exact, all came back positive...her water had indeed broken. An ultrasound indicated it was probably Grey. It also indicated that he still had quite a bit of water cusioning him and that his, and Max's heart rate were fine. They were kicking and having a great time together in their little niche in mom's tummy.

With the tests having come back positive for water breaking, the doctor, one who specializes in early preterm labor and delivery, walked us through the need-to-knows. The baby's are fine. Their heart beats are good. They will be ok inside Katie's tummy for now, and the longer they stay the better. Preterm labor for the babies and infection to Katie are the biggest risks, along with complications to the baby as a result of less cushioning (less water). All of these things are best monitored. The "danger zone" is the next 5 days. After 5 days if we see no pre-term labor signs, no onset of infection (although the danger for that will remian constant, and the babies seem to remain happy Katie will go off constant monitoring and proceed to a waiting period at the hospital. The goal is to keep the babies in to 34 weeks, we're at 27 and 2 days. So just short of 7 weeks to go The rule of thumb I've heard, but by no means have substantiated, is that for every week they spend in mom's tummy is 1 month less of time in the NICU. 

Katie will be spending the rest of her time in the hospital until the kids are born. I would appreciate any prayers, thoughts etc. I will be discussing things with Katie this Afternoon to see what things I need to do to make sure that our needs are met, but to those who have offered help to this point know how much I appreciate your help and continued support. I'll post pictures when I've got them. Take care.

No comments: